A face covering/mask is required for you and your child during your child's visit.
Carolina Pediatric Dentistry has instituted a re-opening protocol in response to guidance from regulating bodies (NC State Dental Board of Examiners, American Dental Association (ADA), and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). As of Monday, May 18, 2020 both of our office locations are open for comprehensive pediatric dental care. We remain dedicated to the highest standard of child-centered care and appreciate your commitment to safety by adhering to our new protocols.
If your child(ren) had an appointment cancelled due to our COVID-19 closure period March 17, 2020 through May 15, 2020 we are diligently working to reschedule patients based on priority of need. While we ask for your patience as we reach out to you, we welcome phone calls (919-570-0180) or texts (for questions or concerns. For our families who have upcoming scheduled appointments starting May 18th, we look forward to seeing you! Please see three sections below describing our operations during COVID-19:
1. Your Child’s Safety
2. Your Child’s Appointment
3. Our Commitment to You
1. Your Child’s Safety
Safety for you, your child, and our team remains our top priority, and it is our obligation as part of the healthcare system to minimize transmission risk.
Since opening in 2002, our office has always followed strict infection control standards, including:
- Hospital-grade disinfectants and sterilization procedures.
- Single-use disposables whenever possible.
- In-house laundering of team uniforms and jackets, as well as on-site shoe storage to minimize external germs and allergens.
Recently implemented enhancements include:
- Temperature and COVID-19 symptom screening for any person entering the office. Our team members and doctors are screened three times daily.
- Additional PPE such as hats/bonnets, N95 equivalent face masks, and face shields. We get to look more like superheroes now!
- More frequent surface disinfection in common areas.
- Reduction in the number of persons in our office at any one time.
- Minimal overlapping of patients within the office, with all dental chairs over 6 feet apart, video game modules turned off, and playhouses closed.
2. Your Child’s Appointment
You will see changes when it is time for your child’s next appointment. Please understand that we are striving to remain under 50% occupancy to best align with our state and county government regulations for businesses. To help in navigating your child’s next visit, we will text or email you an infographic prior to your scheduled appointment to remind you of important details. Please find a summary of changes below.
- We are scheduling to respect social distancing between patients and to allow for additional disinfection time between appointments. Due to this:
- You may be offered fewer options for scheduling your appointment.
- Commitment to appointment arrival times is important so that we may best serve your family.
- All dental chairs are greater than 6 feet apart in our office, and we will keep patients from crossing paths.
- We will ask COVID-19 screening questions prior to your planned visit to our practice and again when you arrive. Please stay at home and keep your child(ren) at home if you or they are feeling unwell, experiencing any symptoms of illness including the following: fever, sore throat, cough, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, lost sense of taste/smell, headaches or unexplained rashes on the hands or feet.
- We ask for only one parent/guardian to accompany a patient to their appointment.
- We are maximizing the number of highly skilled pediatric dental team members we can employ to continue to carry out the highest standard of child-centered care. This creates a challenge when we reduce the number of total persons inside our office at any one time and request:
- Only the patient be present during the appointment with parent/guardian waiting in the car or a common area outside of our office during the appointment. When this is not possible, we have limited social distanced parent reception areas, and a team member will guide you to a safe area. We can communicate with you throughout the visit as needed and can provide virtual observation of your child.
- If you must be present with your infant, toddler, or child with special healthcare needs, we are strategically scheduling for one parent/guardian wearing a mask to accompany their child in-office between the morning hours of 9:00 to 11:30 AM. We have very limited supplies of masks and request that you provide your own face covering.
- We have mandatory supervised hand washing upon entry and exit of our offices. Additionally, every child aged six and older will be asked to rinse with 3% hydrogen peroxide prior to receiving dental services.
- We have removed our coffee service, magazines and toys that are difficult to disinfect.
- We have optimized technology capabilities in our office, including text communication as well as an online payment option.
3. Our Commitment To You
Many things have changed, but our core mission as your pediatric dental home remains. As a reminder, our pediatric dentists continue to offer the following:
- Teledentistry consults or remote consultations as indicated for patients of record.
- Urgent/emergent treatment on a daily basis. We believe no child should be in pain.
- Access to a Pediatric Dentist after hours for dental traumas and emergencies.
- Dental report cards summarizing details of our pediatric dentist’s exam notes and recommendations. This enables caregivers unable to be present in the office the opportunity to be a part of their child’s oral health care at home.